Nick Kyrgios has admitted that he failed a drug test after a positive cocaine result, describing the episode as a sharp reminder of how quickly his career has been derailed by injury and frustration. The Australian former Wimbledon finalist said the mistake was his own and framed the moment as a turning point.
The 31-year-old, long known for both elite shotmaking and constant controversy, is now provisionally suspended while tennis officials review the case. His ranking has dropped to No. 919, a steep fall for a player who was still on one of the sport’s biggest stages just a few seasons ago.
The Positive Result and Immediate Consequences
The sample in question was taken on June 22 at a lower-level grass-court event in Mallorca, Spain, and the result was confirmed on July 17. By the time the positive finding became public, Kyrgios had already competed at Wimbledon. The International Tennis Integrity Agency said a mandatory provisional suspension began on August 4, and it also noted that he has not appealed the measure.
- The substance involved was cocaine.
- The test was collected during the Mallorca event.
- The positive result was confirmed weeks later, after Wimbledon.
- A provisional suspension is already in place.
In a statement posted to Instagram, Kyrgios said he had “made a huge mistake” and accepted responsibility. His message made clear that he was not trying to deny the result or shift blame.
What the Tennis Rules Could Mean
Anti-doping rules treat cocaine as a prohibited substance in competition, though the likely punishment can depend on the circumstances surrounding the use. That means the final outcome may be less severe than the maximum penalty in some other cases, especially if officials determine the use happened outside tournament play.
There is precedent for a reduced sanction in tennis. British player Dan Evans received a one-year ban from the International Tennis Federation in 2017 after testing positive for cocaine at the Barcelona Open.
For Kyrgios, the key issue now is not only the violation itself but also how the sport weighs intent, timing, and his overall record.
A Career Interrupted by Injuries
For much of the last two years, Kyrgios has been dealing with a body that has not cooperated. He said the physical strain has also taken a mental toll, and his latest comments reflected that pressure.
He wrote that he has felt “helpless and alone” at times, while also stressing that those feelings do not excuse the result. That mix of honesty and regret has become central to the way he is presenting this setback.
His recent results show just how sharply his momentum has faded:
- Since his standout 2022 season, he has played only 10 tour-level singles matches and won two.
- In 2026, he has produced one singles win and three losses.
- He also entered Wimbledon doubles with Alexander Bublik, but the pair exited in the first round.
Looking Back at the Rise and the Slide
Kyrgios’ most recent title came in Washington, D.C., shortly after his run to the Wimbledon final in 2022, where he lost to Novak Djokovic. He later reached the US Open quarterfinals and was stopped by Karen Khachanov.
After that, the downward trend accelerated. A knee injury in Tokyo in October 2022 began a long interruption, and a wrist problem kept him out of Wimbledon in 2023. His 2025 season offered little relief, starting with a first-round loss at the Australian Open and then a decision to skip the next three Grand Slam events.
Even with this new controversy, Kyrgios ended his statement on a note of resolve. He said the situation had become a wake-up call and announced that he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days while he tries to get himself back on track.



Leave a Reply