A Growing Split in World Football
Football’s top governing bodies are heading toward open conflict, and the fight centers on control, transparency, and money. FIFA’s push to explore private investment in major events has triggered a sharp reaction from some of the sport’s most powerful regional organizations.
At the center of the dispute is FIFA president Gianni Infantino’s proposal to sell minority stakes in the World Cup and other FIFA properties to private investors. The plan has been linked to Thrive Eternal, an investment fund led by Joshua Kushner, and FIFA has asked its 211 member federations to respond by September 19.
The reaction has been swift because many officials see the move as a major shift in how football’s flagship competitions would be governed and financed.
The Main Objections
UEFA was first to escalate the dispute. The European body, which represents 55 national associations, voted unanimously to oppose FIFA’s direction and said it would consider a boycott of FIFA competitions, including World Cups, unless the proposal is abandoned.
- UEFA said the idea was developed in secret and argued that the World Cup should not be treated like a commercial asset for sale.
- CONCACAF rejected the proposal as well, criticizing the lack of openness and the short deadline for deciding.
- The AFC backed the concerns raised by Europe and North and Central America, while also calling for broader reform of FIFA’s governance.
- Mexico has not committed either way and says it needs more time to review the plan.
Africa, South America, and Oceania have not yet taken formal votes, so the full map of opposition is still incomplete.
FIFA Pushes Ahead
Despite the backlash, FIFA has shown no sign of retreat. In a statement released Friday, the organization blamed inaccurate media coverage for interfering with its consultation process and said it intended to continue moving forward.
The pressure inside FIFA increased when senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned over the matter. That departure matters because it suggests the controversy is not limited to outside critics; it is also creating friction within FIFA’s own leadership circle.
Why This Fight Matters
This is not just an administrative dispute. UEFA’s members include some of the richest and most influential leagues in the world, among them the Premier League, La Liga, and Serie A. When UEFA, CONCACAF, and AFC all raise objections at the same time, FIFA is facing resistance from a large share of football’s most important power centers.
- September 19 is the date FIFA has set for federations to signal support.
- Next month’s FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Poland is the first major tournament where the dispute could spill into public view.
- November 18 is the deadline for presidential candidates to declare before the March vote in Rabat.
Infantino had been expected to cruise toward a fourth term as FIFA president through 2031. After this week’s backlash, that path looks far less certain than it did before.



Leave a Reply